Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Love for Sale

Nick blessed me with the new Bilal album-"Love for Sale" tonite (it leaked like all good things). I felt like I owed him... so i said "thanks".
then I listened to the first few tracks....and even tho Nick said "nothing really stood out"...i BEG to differ. Seeing Bilal in concert- solo, like a true fan- I heard samples of "Love for Sale" and almost fell out... absolutely delicious. To me- Bilal's a true neo-soul artist...mainly underground..playing in small joints all over the place....actin a straight fool and singin his ASS off on stage... new stuff...using his classical training....h-o-t.
On this album, in one quick listen I latched on to "Sorrow, tears, and blood" (a Fela re-make), "White turns to Gray", "Hollywood" and "All for Love". Four solid ass tracks.
I'm not sure this'll measure up to "1st Born Second" ("...you got me wishin i didnt have home training..sometimesss...")....but its a worthy try. Its the sorta album that takes a hard, long listen to dig up the treasures. but boy, once you get it......